We have the low down for you right here so you can easily pick and choose and get on your way to summer fun the safe way.
What to look out for:
Oxybenzone – Oxybenzone is a hormone disruptor which is directly absorbed into the skin. It can cause problems within the endocrine system. It has been linked directly to endometriosis in older women and lower birth weights for pregnant women.
Super high SPF levels – Anything above a 50 SPF has not been proven to be any more effective and could cause additional exposure to UV radiation.
Parabens – Parabens are also hormone disruptors. They can cause a whole host of problems within the body.
Fragrance – Fragrance is not regulated by any industry or regulating body. It can literally be any chemical safe or not. They have been linked to allergies and numerous serious health problems, especially with repeated use.
Retinyl Palmitate – though it is a form of Vitamin A it is synthetic. Government studies have shown that it can speed the formation of skin cancer and tumors.
Avoid Spray Sunscreen – It is far too easy to miss a spot or not apply enough. Inhaling is also not healthy for you.
Octinoxate / Ethylhexyl / Methoxycinnamate – hormone disruptors that can raise estrogen levels artificially high and has been linked to breast cancer.
Homosalate – also a hormone disruptor. Additionally, it absorbs unusually well into the skin and bloodstream and if any other toxins are around or in the air it will drag them into your bloodstream as well. Pesticides and herbicides included.
Octocrylene – an endocrine disruptor that can lower sperm count in men.
Now that you have the top toxic ingredients list you may be more confused than ever. We also would like to give you some more natural safe options that do work. Let’s look at the top sunscreens that protect you from getting burnt without risking your future health.
According to Dr. Axe’s Top Sunscreen list (which we have reviewed and agree with) here are the best brands to have in your beach bag this summer.
Attitude 100% Mineral Sunscreen, Fragrance-Free, SPF 30
All Good Sunstick, Unscented, SPF 30
- Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Lotion Sunscreen, Sensitive Skin, SPF 50
- Badger Active Natural Mineral Sunscreen Cream, Unscented, SPF 30
- Goddess Garden Sport Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Just Skin Food Baby Beach Bum Sunscreen Stick, SPF 31
- Kabana Organic Skincare Green Screen Sunscreen Lotion, Original, SPF 32
- Poofy Organics The Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Poofy Organics The Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
- Sunology Mineral Sunscreen, Body, SPF 50
- Thinksport Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- Waxhead Sun Defense Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- All Good Kid’s Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Badger Kids Active Sunscreen Cream, Tangerine & Vanilla, SPF 30
- Bare Republic Baby Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Baby, SPF 30+
- BurnOut Kids Sunscreen, SPF 35
- California Baby Calendula Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- COOLA Suncare Baby Mineral Sunscreen Stick, SPF 50
- Equate Baby Zinc Sunscreen Mineral Lotion, SPF 50
- Goddess Garden Kids Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50
- Hawaiian Sol Sol Kid Kare, SPF 50
- MDSolarSciences KidCreme Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 40
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Nurture My Body Baby Organic Sunscreen, SPF 32
- Sunology Mineral Sunscreen, Kids, SPF 50
- thinkbaby Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- thinksport Kids Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- Tom’s of Maine Baby Sunscreen Lotion, Fragrance-Free, SPF 30
- Waxhead Sun Defense Baby Zinc Oxide Sunscreen, SPF 35
Protecting your skin is important if you are going to be exposed for several hours to direct sun. If you are only going to be outside 15-20 minutes or less its best to let the sun shine on your skin. It helps your body produce Vitamin D and is actually helpful to keep your body free of cancer cells.